Skip to main content

 











THE CORROSIVE NATURE OF JEALOUSY 


I. Introduction 


What you don't know can cause harm to many, including yourself. Jealousy is one of the things that destroy lives of people, even the born again Christian.

That is why it is important to study this subject with an open heart, so that we can identify if we are among jealous people or victims of jealousy.


I. 1. Definition

Jealousy is a multifaceted and often misunderstood emotion.

In the Bible, jealousy is portrayed as both a human emotion and a divine attribute, with distinct connotations depending on its context and motivation.

The word for jealousy is "קִנְאָה" (kin'ah) in Hebrew. This term encompasses a range of emotions from envy to zeal, reflecting both the negative and positive nature of jealousy. 


I. 1.1. Jealousy (kin'ah) is depicted as a sinful and destructive force, rooted in selfishness, insecurity, and pride. It is associated with envy, bitterness, and resentment, leading to strife, conflict, and even violence among individuals and communities. 


I. 1. 2. Jealousy (kin'ah) is not exclusively negative in the Bible. It is also used to describe God's jealousy, which is protective zeal for His people, loyalty and devotion for His covenant. God's jealousy is a holy and righteous jealousy, motivated by a desire for exclusive worship and obedience from his chosen people.


For example, in Exodus 34:14, God declares, "Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." Here, the word קַנָּא (kan-na) is a related form, emphasizing God's passionate commitment to His relationship with Israel.


I. 2. Manifestations of (negative) Jealousy


I. 2.1. External manifestation 

Jealousy manifests in diverse ways, depending on individual temperament, circumstances, and cultural influences. It can manifest as possessiveness, suspicion, resentment, or competitiveness, leading to behaviors such as controlling behavior, passive-aggressive tactics, or attempts to sabotage others' success.


I. 2. 2. Internal manifestation 

Jealousy may also manifest internally as feelings of insecurity, inferiority, or self-doubt, affecting your self-esteem and emotional well-being. 

Often triggered by comparisons with others or the fear of being replaced or abandoned. 


I. 3. Distinguishing Between Jealousy and Zeal


In Greek, the word for jealousy is "ζήλος" (zēlos). This term, which can also be translated as zeal or ardor, conveys a range of emotions from passionate enthusiasm to envy. 

The dual meaning of (zēlos) in Greek highlights the fine line between constructive zeal and destructive jealousy. 


I. 3. 1. Constructive zeal involves passionate commitment to a cause or belief, driven by positive intentions and a desire for good outcomes (John 2:17). 


I. 3. 2. Destructive jealousy, on the other hand, stems from envy and insecurity, often leading to negative actions and emotions (Acts 13:45). 


I. 4. Conclusion


The Hebrew term קִנְאָה (kin'ah) and the Greek term ζήλος (zēlos) encapsulates both the positive and negative dimensions of jealousy and zeal as portrayed in the bible. By examining the contexts in which this word is used, we can discern the fine line between righteous passion and destructive envy. 


In the book of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, jealousy is depicted as a destructive and foolish emotion that leads to folly and ruin. 


Question: Are you a jealous person or a victim of jealousy? 


Stay connected for the following post. 

For prayer and partnership call +27836932043WhatsApp. 


Facebook

Prophet Holly Van Usele

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seek God first

  SEEK GOD FIRST  In the hustle and bustle of life, it's easy to get caught up in various pursuits; from career ambitions to personal goals. However, as Christians, it is a must for us to seek God first.  The Hebrew word for "Seek" (“baqash”) means to search out with a striving or desire. His “face”- “His presence”. To inquire or seek diligently. It often implies seeking with the intention of finding or understanding. The Hebrew word for "first" ("ri'shôn") refers to being the initial or primary in order, time, or importance. It signifies placing something or someone at the forefront. In Hebrew, when we say "seek God first," it implies diligently searching for and inquiring about God with the intention of making Him the primary focus and priority in our lives. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SEEK GOD?    To seek God first means we turn to Him before anyone or anything else for help, guidance, wisdom, and setting priorities. When we seek God first, w...

GOD HATES IT

 GOD HATES IT!!! There is a great deception that has crept into the church, and many are falling into it without realizing the danger they are in. That deception is MIXING; mixing the things of God with the things of the devil, mixing light with darkness, and thinking that God will still be pleased. But I am here to tell you the truth: God does not accept a mixture! The Bible says: "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth." (Revelation 3:15-16) When you mix God with the world, when you mix the Holy Spirit with the demonic, when you mix truth with lies, you become lukewarm. And the Word of God is CLEAR: He will vomit you out. Many people today, due to a lack of patience, want to be seen. They want power, fame, influence, or quick results, so they open up to the devil willingly. Others do not even know that they have opened the door to the ene...

THE DOOR OF SALVATION

  I am honored to write a book on the topic of how to get born again. In this book, I will be sharing with you my personal experiences and insights on this topic. Dear readers! Greetings to you, from all over the world. I am thrilled to have this opportunity to share my insights with you on a topic that I'm deeply passionate about: "How to Get Born Again". Today, we are living in a world that is more complex and challenging than ever before. Many misconceptions are shared behind the pulpits, books and videos on this matter, that generate a type of people that are really not born again. Many preachers promote a style on how to get born again that put the souls in a kind of simulation and make people think that they are born again when they are not. That is why many called Christians are not able to live a sinless life. In our modern time it is so easy to lose our way amid the chaos and confusion. However, I'm a firm believer that it is never too late to start again ...